The Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
This photo a friend of mine shared on Facebook and it brought to mind a wonderful day a few years ago, so I thought I would share it here.
I used to work for the Forest Service out of Reedsport, (The Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area) My position was Public Relations, one of my duties was to take visitors out on hikes in the Dunes, loved the job... couldn't believe what a treat the position was and I
was paid too! Miss it a lot at times.
One time I will never forget, It was on my day off and I was just south of Reedsport, I went for a hike on an area of one of the highest dunes... when you were on top you stood next to the top twenty feet of some of the trees the view was beautiful, it was like being all alone in the world, not a sign of humanity anywhere and so quiet. Anyway I had seen bear tracks as I was ascending the dune, but couldn't tell if they were fresh or from the night before as the dune was wet, anyway as I sat at the top and looked toward the forest area there she was with cubs, not only that but after she disappeared into the wooded area out came what looked like a dog, and it was walking toward me; silver looking with a very bushy long tail. I thought what is a dog doing way up here all alone, well it was a good sized fox and as it walked closer I stood very still and when it saw me it turned and walk into another part of the woods... what a treat that day was... miss those experiences a lot, miss the Forest Service... If you have a chance to visit the Oregon Coast, visit the Dunes.
One time I will never forget, It was on my day off and I was just south of Reedsport, I went for a hike on an area of one of the highest dunes... when you were on top you stood next to the top twenty feet of some of the trees the view was beautiful, it was like being all alone in the world, not a sign of humanity anywhere and so quiet. Anyway I had seen bear tracks as I was ascending the dune, but couldn't tell if they were fresh or from the night before as the dune was wet, anyway as I sat at the top and looked toward the forest area there she was with cubs, not only that but after she disappeared into the wooded area out came what looked like a dog, and it was walking toward me; silver looking with a very bushy long tail. I thought what is a dog doing way up here all alone, well it was a good sized fox and as it walked closer I stood very still and when it saw me it turned and walk into another part of the woods... what a treat that day was... miss those experiences a lot, miss the Forest Service... If you have a chance to visit the Oregon Coast, visit the Dunes.

No comments:
Post a Comment